Thursday, May 20

Seattle

My KYRS Spokane radio interview on Sharokh Nikfar's Persian Radio Hour came in the mail this week, I've posted it at the top of the page for you to have a listen.  It's an hour long, so if you'd rather download it and stick it on your iPod so you can listen to it when you're stuck in line at the post office, there's a link for that too.

Sharokh and I on the air
I'm in Seattle for a month now, doing three months of work at a social justice organization and living with my friends Chris and Sam at the Sunset House co-op.  The house is unusually empty and I had my pick of 4 rooms this visis; I took this long attic room in the end.  I've written 2 new songs and should have them recorded and up here in a week or so.
On Saturday I caught an awesome hip hop show; Gabriel Theodros (left), probably the most progressive and original MC in rap, performing with his DJ/Producer Amos Miller (right) and two incredible vocalists who's names I don't know.  Gabriel is of Etheopian decent and grew up in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of south Seattle - evidently the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the country.  His new album, "Lovework" is both deeply personal and political, with some of the best beats and rhymes I've heard in a while.
I also made an appearance on my friend Andrass Jones' "Radio 8 Ball" show,which I was happy to discover is located in Seattle's international district (which meant I ate Vietnamese food afterwards).  Here's how Radio 8 Ball works: members of the audience are selected after putting their questions in a hat; then you spin a wheel (bottom right) and the number you get corresponds to a list of songs (bottom right) that the guest musician will play.  The song is the answer to your question and you, Andrass and the guest musician (who was the fantasticly talented Tracy Bonham that night) try to make sense out of it.  Good times...
There was even a "celebrity skype-in" appearance from Weird Al Yankovic.

Click Here and scroll down to the middle of the page to ask "The Pop Oracle" your own question.  Don't hold back now, it only works if you ask a real question.

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to listen, nim, and REALLY can't wait for the uploaded songs and the "bonus multiplier!" :-D

    p.s. yay for a new blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you picked the best room in the house! love & miss that room... Gabe T rocks / loveworks is incredible. i run into him at a Vietnamese restaurant around the corner from our place every once in a while. he's a wise soul & i admire his writings a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete